Wednesday, October 24, 2007



Today I went with Brooke's Kindergarten class on a field trip to the pumpkin patch. It was a lot of fun to see how Brooke interacts with the other kids. I got to meet her friends who are in the same class, so that is nice to be able to put a face with a name. I always wanted to be involved with the kids' school stuff and I am very lucky that I have my mom to come watch my other two so I am able to do this.

I am in charge of planning all the parties in Brooke's classroom along with a couple of other mom's to help. I have lots of fun ideas, I can't wait!

We had Brooke's family birthday party this last weekend. No one from Brad's family showed up, except one of Brad's uncles, who spoils the kids. How crazy is that? Brooke was upset, but I think Brad was more upset. My whole family was here, so that is good. I am glad my family treats Brad like he is one of us, because it helps him deal with what his family isn't. Brad has also given up on his brothers helping with the house. They were supposed to help this weekend and didn't show up or call again. How sad. Luckily there will be some guys from guards who are going to help Brad out. I can't wait!

I can't believe it is almost November already! Brad has his first business trip in November. Before he left for Iraq, he was given a nice raise and a promotion. Once he got back from Iraq, he was given another nice raise, they are so good to him! This will be the first time we have been apart for more than one night since he has been back from Iraq. I am sure we will be fine. I worry more about the kids, it is always hard for them, even guard weekends and Brad being in uniform. We often have to explain that Brad is not going to Iraq. I wonder when that will go away?

Speaking of Iraq, today was the activation ceremony for the guys who are going to Iraq. They leave this weekend for training. Brooke was very concerned for those families today, she told me it was so scary and sad while daddy was gone. They will be in my prayers.

2 comments:

kbug said...

It's so wonderful that you can do the field trips...I did them all the time when my boys were young. I was the room mother, volunteer teacher's aide, cafeteria volunteer, etc., and enjoyed every minute of being involved in their lives. When boys grow up, they tend to separate from their moms and dads more so than girls, so I was determined to share every possible moment with them while they were young. It has resulted in a very close family, even now that the youngest one is 25 and married. I still enjoy every minute I get to spend with them in their worlds...4-wheeling in the mud, shooting guns at the tank, boating...it's absolutely priceless to me.

I often wonder how much kids are affected by their parents being deployed to Iraq. I know how scarey it was for me and for Seth's wife, Katie, but kids can be affected much more deeply. I'm sure alot of it has to do with the individual personalities of the kids, whether they are worriers or not, but I also think that alot of it has to do with how their parents react to the deployment. It's not an easy thing, but I'm sure time will help quite a bit.

Take care, and enjoy your time with your children while they're small...they grow up awfully fast.

Glo said...

Tell Brooke, nice Pumpkin. Glad you got to enjoy some time with her.God bless you mother for her help.
Brad's family sounds like Mike's. That is so sad they just don't know what they are missing. The only time mike's 8 brother and sisters show up is when some one dies...then it's just to see if they left them anything.Mike always say it them who is missing out not him. I always been blessed with a great family. Just give us a day and we'll make it a get together. My family has always been great to Mike. My kids too.Even with the age diff.
I know your greatful for guard buddies.
Tell Brooke that we will all be praying for the troops going over. I know it's been hard on some of our guys kids too. Every time goes out the door they think he going back to Iraq.
Blessing my friend.